Saturday, September 22, 2007

FEATURING 7





1. Please tell us UNIVERSAL PLAYERS a little bit about you ?
Lope:
I'm just your average guy with above average passion (for my job,
obviously.)

2. What got you in to photography ?
Lope:
I think photographers all start out the same way - all
photographers start out finding themselves caring a lot about the
power image. The photograph has always had it's subtle effects on
people but in every good photographers case, the allure of a visual is
stronger. With regards to my career, I started out doing graphics -
and that let me play around with a lot of images. That in turn led me to want
to be in control of all the visuals I had in my hands. I loved working
with photographs so much that I just felt the need to do things my
way. Like an itch I just had to scratch. Cause you see, when you're
doing stuff in the computer (graphics, retouching, etcetera etcetera)
you will only have partial control of the final product, but when
you're behind the lens, you are the master of the image. You have to
think of the concept, you have to know how to work with the light, you
have to be able to communicate your ideas with your team... It's a
whole big production. And I wanted to be on top of it all.



3. You have worked in Asia, Middle East and now the United
States, could you please share with us the differences to work in
these continents ?
Lope:
Well, I think Asia and the Middle East are obviously the polar
opposites of the United States for two main reasons. First because of
aesthetic. There will always be heavy censoring in Asia and the Middle
East, which in a way can teach you how to create stimulating images
with very little to tap on. If anything, it teaches you taste because
nothing can be too vulgar in these places. You have to be more
creative to come up with something sexy. I think because I worked in
these two continents, I can come up with photographs that are
extremely sexy but subtle. Second, because I'm now based in
NY, I now started to consider the wonderful advantages of diversity.
Here, I feel that I am learning to shoot photographs that will appeal
to the world - not just in the little sphere of the Asian or Middle
Eastern communities. Being in NY - the melting pot of the world -
makes you realize that there is a lot to learn and work on.



4. Where market do you feel most comfortable to work in and why ?
Lope:
The United States fashion industry most definitely. You get to
express yourself in such a way that brings out the best in you.

5. Do you have any special techniques you do before start shooting models ?
Lope:
The best thing to do (in my opinion at least) is to establish
rapport with whoever I am shooting. Nothing sucks more than a
photograph with an uptight model.

6. What do you think models should think of while posing in front of a camera ?
Lope:
They should try to forget that they are in front of a camera.
They just ought to be full of self-confidence and know that they look
like a million bucks.

7. What do you love about fashion and where does your inspiration
come from ?
Lope:
My inspiration comes from my life - my experiences, the people I meet, ordinary things I see everyday - I feel that inspiration should be everywhere and that if you really love photography, you will appreciate all kinds of visuals (which is everywhere.)
I find inspiration in everything. I find inspiration with my favorite image makers
like Irving Penn, Javier Vallhonrat, Philip Lorca DiCorcia, Steven Klein, Nan Goldin, & Cindy Sherman.
And fashion... I love everything about it. What's not to love?

8. What projects are you currently working on, anything you can
share with us ?
Lope:
Youll be seeing most of my new works popping out in Europe and NYC...
magazine covers, editorials, portraits, and campaigns...Ill keep you updated on the details...
Plus Im working on a coffee table book entitled "UNIVERSAL PLAYAS"
but since I have a feeling its not too original now thanks to you
...its tentatively entitled "HOTBEDS by Lope Navo"




10. Which major brand do you see yourself shooting for in the
future and why ?
Lope:
I want to reinvent the images of mass luxury labels, mainly
Gucci, LV and Prada... I feel like I just might be able to add a
little ooomph. Notice how many of these ads look the same? No grit at all.

11. What help could you pass on to aspiring models starting out the Biz ?
Lope:
I think that in any field, you have to know what you want
first... Then have the guts to do anything and everything to carry it
out and see everything to the finish. What is life without a little
challenge and a little risk?


12. Being featured on the UNIVERSAL PLAYER blog, what doe’s that mean to you ?
Lope:
Well I feel like its a full circle...Im proud of you Patrick!

MORE OF LOPE NAVO. PLEASE VISIT THESE TWO LINKS.

LOPE NAVO WEBSITE

LOPE NAVO ON MYSPACE